You are going to get divorced. The important thing now then, is to take the appropriate steps, and to act with thought and planning rather than just via gut reaction. For whatever reason you are getting divorced, it is important to get legal advice throughout the process. Below are five things we advise that all of our clients who are considering getting a divorce follow:
1) Maintain Secrecy. Avoid telling anybody your plans before you get legal advice and submit various legal claims in court.
2) Collect evidence of spouse behavior. They may be relevant for proof for: proving an affair; or of mental or physical abuse; or of possession of certain assets; and for child custody.
3) Collect evidence of spouse’s earning capacity assets listed in their name. This will affect child support and division of property issues. Act swiftly and soon –things may be hidden or otherwise disappear. If necessary you can get help from a private investigator.
4) Make a will to determine who inherits your property. Just in case. Remember, unless you have a will, then while you’re married, half of your assets go to your spouse upon your death.
5) Make every effort to reach a fair agreement. Good agreements can regulate all disputed matters quickly and efficiently. Remember, the more information you have when negotiating the better your chances for a fair deal and to protect your rights.